The Movie Wizard

Movies can and will be judged based on artistic value, uniquity, evidence of talent, and valid motivation. Submit requests for reviews, and compare your own views to my past posts to get an idea of where we agree and where we don't!

Sunday, August 07, 2005

A Rating System

Ok, in continuation of my efforts to get this blog off the ground, I need to develop a rating system. The typical star system is too condensed, as it can't compare the various facets of a film. It is too one-dimensional. I used to read a webcomic about movies where the author rated films on a scale from 0-3, being how many times he would pay to see the movie in theaters. I've found that unique and interesting, but for me the only ones that would rate more than a 1 would be movies with strong 'nerd appeal' - the Matrix, Star Wars, or LOTR Trilogies, Spider-Man and other comic book movies, etc. At least that's my experience. This webcomic author actually also used to do one-word movie reviews that were quite clever. The only one that I can recall at this point was when he reviewed "Intolerable Cruelty" and said it was "Both."

I want my review system to take into account the various different reasons that a film may be worth watching - either it is thoroughly entertaining, like a good comedy or special-effects smorgasboard; perhaps it is touching, thought-provoking, or emotionally powerful; it may be epic in scope and subject, or so unique and original, that to not see it would be to miss out on something irreplaceable; it may demonstrate such excellence of cinematic artistry that it becomes a shining example of what the medium ought to be. All of these things may recommend a movie, and a movie that excels in one category may be completely devoid of several others. The best movies are ones that fulfill all the categories. So why don't we develop a multiple-score system, then you can get the numbers straight off the top. If you always agree with my assessments, then just look at the numbers, and if they are high enough, drive straight to the theater or the rental store. If you don't always agree with my assessment, the numbers will be followed by an explanation that will lay out my reasonings so that you may examine them at will. I'll work on this system overnight, and tomorrow I will post the rating system as well as my first review.

Other than that, look for Fridays to be the big day for this blog - new movies come out, and I'll take a brief look at what I can predict from the trailers to set up your weekend entertainment. I'll also take a chance then to look at movie news as it strikes me. Then during the week, I'll look back as I get a chance to see the movies myself, or hear from others who watched them, and re-evaluate the original comments. I'll also work on the 'back-log' of movies I've watched, trying to put out reviews during the week that will give you the shape of my opinions and help you compare your own views to mine, thus making my predictions more useful to you. And anytime anyone wants me to review a specific movie, just leave a comment here on the blog - it will hit my e-mail and I will put up the review during the week, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home