The Movie Wizard

Movies can and will be judged based on artistic value, uniquity, evidence of talent, and valid motivation. Submit requests for reviews, and compare your own views to my past posts to get an idea of where we agree and where we don't!

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pardon the mess

So the blog format is not really suited for what I'm trying to do here - this means I will have to reconstruct some things. I will try to keep adding content while I mess with format, so bear with me. Already I have made the rating system more accessible, but I'm trying to structure other things differently, too, so that this site will be more useful to the typical viewer.

In the meantime, I read a great article in Time Magazine today about the acting work of Andre Benjamin, who calls himself Andre 3000 when he sings with Grammy-winning rap duo OutKast. So many rappers have tried to act, and so few of them have been successful. Will Smith is better known as an actor than a rapper, and personally I like his movies way more than his songs. Mos Def has also played a variety of strong roles - most recently I loved him in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. But with few other exceptions, every rapper who has gone into acting (and there have been sooo many of them) has been an absolute waste of space. I don't know why it's such a ubiquitous trend, but it should be clear why it's such a proven waste of time.

So congrats to Andre, who is committed to overturning the stereotypes and the problems rampant with his fellow rapper/actors. Lately he's in Four Brothers. Makes me wanna see it. A little.

Tomorrow we'll take our first preview look at the weekend's movies, and then you can all write in on Monday and tell me if I was wrong!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home